ABOUT METHANOL/OM METANOL
- A superior high octane fuel (105 octane)
- A sustainable, domestic and climate neutral energy source
- Greenhouse gas savings exceed other liquid bio-fuels by far, 80-90% in comparison to 15-40% for agro-based ethanol.
- Fuel properties are excellent due to the high octane rating
- It burns with very clean fumes and can be used in spark ignition port injected gasoline engines blended with gasoline (up to 25%) without any modification.
- So-called flexi fuel vehicles (FFVs) made for E85 can also run on high methanol blends, such as M85.
- The cars of tomorrow will have electric motors powered by fuel cells - bioMethanol is the most cost-efficient and environmental friendly liquid fuel for fuel cell vehicles. Methanol can be directly fed into a fuel cell without being reformed into hydrogen.
- BioMethanol can be introduced on the market by using present distribution systems without additional costs.
VärmlandsMetanol has during 8 years without problems driven a Volvo 850 of model 1992 with different methanol admixtures. The car has been running excellently without any adaptions for more than 68 850 kilometers with different methanol blends in gasoline.
Speedway motorbikes needs a high octane fuel. That is why they use pure methanol. In the USA american Formula 1 cars also has been driven on pure methanol.
During the 1980-ties the state of Califonia had approximately 14 000 cars driven on M85, dvs 85 percent methanol and 15 percent gasoline.
Preem om Metanol:
“Another alternative motor fuel is methanol, which commonly is referred to as wood alcohol. Just as ethanol it is excellent to use
as a low admixture in ordinary petrol. Another advantage is that it
is cheap to produce from wood biomass. It is difficult to find
disadvantages with using methanol. There is a surplus of biomass feedstock and the infrastructure – the gas stations – already exist”.
Source: Swedish oil company Preem, the Energy Challenge 2010